If you are setting out on the Portuguese Camino, be aware that this week Pope Francis joins pilgrims in Portugal. Not on the Camino, but to the Shrine of Our Lady of Fatima! 100 years ago, Our Lady appeared to three peasant children and asked them to pray for peace. Pope Francis joins the Marian devotees in urgent prayers for peace. Huge crowds are expected.
Consequently, from 10 to 14 May, there will be more stringent documentation checks when entering Portugal. Minors must also carry their ID or passport. Only the following nine border crossings between Spain and Portugal will remain open and identification will be required at all of them:
- Tui (Pontevedra) -Valença do Minho
- Verín (Ourense) -Chaves
- Quintanilla (Zamora) -Bragança
- Fuentes de Oñoro (Salamanca) -Vilar Formoso-Guarda
- Coria (Extremadura) -Termas de Monfortinho-Castelo Branco
- Valencia de Alcántara (Cáceres) -Marvão-Portalegre
- Rosal de la Frontera (Huelva) -Vila Verde de Ficalho-Beja
- International bridge of the river Guadiana-Castro Marim
In case you are walking the Portuguese Camino, be aware there may be larger crowds, as people head to Fatima, If you are in Fatima, when you pray the rosary and add me to your prayers.